Tuesday 1 July 2008

Dubious Acronyms - An I.T. Profanisaurus

Obviously should have better things on my mind, but whilst in a hotel room recently I started to ponder the creation and propogation of the various acronyms that we are all familiar - or not so familiar - with in IT.

You know the sort of thing that gets bandied around in design documents and discussions:
GIGO for Garbage In, Garbage Out
ACID for Atomic, Consistent, Isolated, Durable transactions
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fouled Up
FUBAR - Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition

I believe those last two come from the military, but have been widely adopted. Maybe because IT has so many foul-ups?

In a similar vein, I thought I would make a list of further possible acronyms that may be used in IT, but that I would not expect to see promoted in any corporate environment. My hotel notepad ended up with the following:

  • Think It Through
  • Attempt Sensible Solutions
  • Specify Explainable XML
  • Build Usable Models
  • Forget Using Complex Keys
  • Someone Will Always Layer Lots Of Waste
  • Cleverdicks Understand Nothing Tangible
  • Producing Really Intricate Complexity Kills Solutions
  • Test With Acceptable Targets
  • Don't Only Notice Graphics
  • When Alert, Normalise Keys, Eliminate Redundancy

And the last one on my list, which has to win some kind of award for creativity:

  • Totally Rewrite Any Non Strategic Variants Early, Saving Time In The End
OK, none of those are likely to make it into common use, but it gave me a little smile when I put them together. Now, should I add a (c) or (tm) symbol after my favourites in there?

;-)

No comments: